The Benefits that Technology can provide to Law Enforcement Agencies
Technology has made life more convenient and enjoyable for the average person. Innovations trickle into every element of society as technological advancement continues to accelerate. However, with all the good comes some bad and readily available technologies have made it easier for criminals to undermine the law. It is essential that policing agencies stay one step ahead by utilizing technological products. Without technology, law enforcement will be trailing behind criminal activity, unprepared for the risks and danger that these individuals bring to society.
Technological innovations are being utilized by law enforcement agencies globally, empowering officers by keeping them better informed and more efficient. David J. Roberts’ outlines the many benefits technology provides to law enforcement agencies in his article “Technology is playing an Expanding Role in Policing”.
Technological advancements, as outlined by Roberts, have provided the following benefits to policing agencies:
1) Access to historical information that can be easily queried
- Information in a database can be easily searched, and readily available to investigators, allowing agencies to carry out investigations with more precision and accuracy while limiting threats to officers.
2) Technology has contributed to having a more informed, efficient, and knowledgeable officer, who has the ability to spend more time on patrol and interfacing with the community.
3) Advance reporting capabilities enable officers to spend less time at their desk writing reports and recording information. It is much easier and timelier to create and edit reports with the electronic storing of information.
4) Communication among officers is more efficient.
5) Administrators are able to manage agency resources more efficiently, monitor crime trends and utilize assets with greater effectiveness.
6) Information sharing among agency members is needed to prepare for, prevent, respond to, and recover from many incidents that are becoming an increasing threat to the safety of communities. Information sharing provides effective incident response and management, supporting the daily operations of agencies at all levels.
Technology has been adopted in many policing agencies worldwide as it is becoming more apparent that the benefits of such products outweigh the costs substantially.
X-FIRE components, such as advanced searching, system-generated file reporting, metrics reporting, the powerful search facility, case tasking, and time, expense and asset management (to name a few) are key to assisting officers in conducting successful investigations and generating valuable intelligence.